January 28, 2011

Perception

It has always intrigued me how people can see themselves so differently than how others see them.  When the woman sitting next to me at this coffee shop looks in the mirror, what does she see?  Is the image staring back at her, the same one that is now looking at me?


I see
A beautiful face filled with poise
A wrinkle--a story of laughter or love
A gray hair from a foe defeated or an obstacle met
A sparkling eye full of secrets that no one may ever discover
A novel of her life etched into her being

Does she only see,
A face
A wrinkle
A gray hair
and Secrets

I have seen so many friends go through bouts of self-doubt, when really they wouldn't be nearly as wonderful to me without their imperfections.  Love yourself, and if you can't, know that I love you, even if I don't know you yet.

I exist as I am, that is enough, If no other in the world be aware, I sit content, And if each and all be aware, I sit content. - Walt Whitman 

No comments: