January 17, 2011

Begin at the Beginning

A clean piece of paper is one of the most refreshing things in the world.  It symbolizes endless possibility.  There are no forgotten promises, heartbreaking regrets or unforgivable mistakes.  A blank piece of paper has so much potential to become whatever it may.  The next great American, French or Russian novel, the details don’t matter.  Any piece of paper could be an opening page to something great. 

Here are some of my favorite beginnings:

"SUFFOCATE HER!" the midwife told my mother when I came into the world."
(When Heaven and Earth Changed Places, LeLy Hayslip)

"First the colors. Then the humans. That's usually how I see things. Or at least, how I try." 
(The Book Thief, Markus Zusak)

"They're out there." 
(One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Ken Kesey)

"Come, said my Soul, such verses for my Body let us write, (for we are one)" 
(Leaves of Grass, Walt Whitman)

"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife." 
(Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austin) 


Each of these pieces of literature is honored and cherished in its own right, but as a reader, I'll put down a book if I'm not intrigued from the start.  The first parts of a book are the introduction to a world created and dictated by the author, and if they cannot give it light, then there is nothing for me to see.

4 comments:

KristaKay13 said...

I ready The Book Thief last year and I LOVED it :) I'd been meaning to mention it to you, but it seems you've already read it :)

InkDoesFlow said...

The Book Theif is honestly one of my absolute favorite books. Truly moving. Have you read any of his others?

KristaKay13 said...

Nope, have not read any of his others - didn't really know there were more. Are they the same style/genre? I do agree, TBT is one of my all time favorites :) I flew through it very quickly, then was so sad when I was finished :) Recommendations on some of his others?

InkDoesFlow said...

Try his book "I am the Messenger". It is not a historical fiction, but its a 'what the heck is going on' kind of book. :)